Penn PROMOTES & FOCUS Present
a symposium on the Impact of the Dobbs Decision on the Workforce & Science
2pm: Welcome and introductions
2:20pm: Aletha Akers
2:55pm: Jody Steinauer
3:45pm: Presentations from RAISE pilot grant recipients
A Message to Our Community
On the implications of the Overturn of Roe v. Wade
The mission of FOCUS is to support the advancement and leadership of women in academic medicine and to promote education and research in women’s health and women's careers.
With the Dobbs decision, the Supreme Court has attacked this mission. The new reality is that people’s decisions about pregnancies, our health, our bodily control, our autonomy, are placed in hands of politicians and determined by zip code. This assault is primarily aimed at women, and the outcomes will be felt by all people who can become pregnant no matter how they identify, and those who love us.
Recent data suggests that a national ban on abortion will increase pregnancy-related mortality overall by 21% and increase pregnancy-related deaths among Black women by a third in the years following a national ban. Restricting abortion access does not eliminate abortion – it only makes it unsafe, increases morbidity and mortality, and perpetuates disparities. We stand with the unified response from scientific and medical organizations including the AAMC, AMA, AAP, NASEM and ACOG.
Questions and comments related to the response and preparation at the School and System levels can be posed to: email@example.com.
FOCUS has offered programming to process and prepare for the repercussions of this decision since the leak. Offerings have included a conversation with Dr. Alhambra Frarey, MD, MSHP and Denene Wambach, Esq titled, “Processing the SCOTUS Leak: Health care implications of the dissolution of Roe v Wade,” and a presentation by Dr. Elizabeth Howell, MD, MPP, “The US Maternal Healthcare Crisis.” A recording of this year’s Special Juneteenth Lecture by Dr. Raegan McDonald-Mosley titled, “Reproductive Oppression Yesterday and Today and Why it Matters,” co-sponsored by FOCUS, can be viewed here.
We are planning additional events related to this outcome. Please communicate with us directly at FOCUS so that we know how to support you.
- Fri, Mar 31Virtual Event, via zoom(Note: this session was designed for women faculty only, please)
- Thu, Apr 13Jordan Law Auditorium (5th Fl)Join us for the 2023 Symposium, co-sponsored by Penn PROMOTES and FOCUS. This event will feature talks by Aletha Akers, Vice President for Research at the Guttmacher Institute and Jody Steinauer, Director, Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health and Director, Ryan Residency Program
- Tue, Apr 18Virtual Event, via zoom
- Fri, May 05Virtual Event via ZoomKey Objectives: 1. Define sponsorship and recognize the roles that sponsorship can play in promoting career development 2. Differentiate sponsorship from mentorship, and identify unique roles of sponsors and mentors 3. Evaluate how sponsorship can accelerate the professional development of both the
- Wed, May 10Virtual EventKeys to Success on the Academic Clinician Track (Note: this session was designed for AC track faculty only, please)The focus of the Academic Clinician Track is excellence in clinical care and excellence in education. AC Faculty are expected to develop an Area of Concentration (AOC) in which they develop special knowledge and expertise. The track provides great flexibility and career opportunities for faculty.
- Fri, May 19Virtual EventAn overview and discussion of the promotion process (Note: this session was designed for CE and Tenure track faculty)The goal of the presentation to review the current promotion process at the Perelman School of Medicine. An important part of the presentation will be your questions and comments.
- Wed, May 31Virtual Event
To support the advancement and leadership of women in academic medicine
To promote education and research in women’s health and women's careers